We publish a newsletter every month here at microBEnet. And I thought it would be good to also publish to the blog the various summaries and roundups from the newsletter. Past newsletters are archived here. Here are some of the highlights from this latest newsletter.
General and News:
- Water damaged child care building closed for mold abatement
- Open Source Building Science Sensors
- Comparing the new 16S rRNA V4 and ITS primers to the old primers-RESULTS!
- “The Dirt on Antimicrobials”
- Nicholas Obsborne and Richard Sharpe on Moldy homes, ventilation, inflammation and immune health
- The role of microbes in corrosion and corrosion inhibition
- The US is officially at war with drug-resistant microbes
- Temporary Isolation Rooms and their Application to Hospital Surge Capacity for Infection Control
- An excellent example for any funding agency: Leukemia & Lymphoma Research goes full #openaccess
- Expanding the breadth of topics covered at microBEnet
- Multiple artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance: Prima facie, the science is sound
- Interesting (but closed-access) review article on “Urban microbiomes and urban ecology”
- Bacterial communities on plants grown indoors
- Fish Want Probiotics Too
- When microbial contamination becomes a secret
- More scary than Halloween: this month in microbophobia
- How dirty is your money?
- A germaphobe’s dilemma: stop washing raw chicken
- Storify from Animals in the Built Environment 2014 Workshop
- Fungal Workshop
- Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomics 2014 (#LAMG14) F1000 Site w/ Posters and Talks
- Report and Storify from Lake Arrowhead: Day 3
- Report and Storify from Lake Arrowhead: Day 2
- Report and Storify from Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomics: Day 1
- Save the Date: Microbiology of the Built Environment Meeting, July 15-18, 2015
- Advice wanted: how to hire an artist for “open” work but best support the artist
- Position in Microbiomes of the Natural and Built Environment at UIUC
- “Human Connection: the Roles of Materials, Human Performance, and Research Translation in Health-Centered Buildings”
- FDA Announces 2014 Food Safety Challenge on detecting Salmonella in produce (w/ $500K to be awarded)
- Greenbuild International Conference and Expo
- Research Consortium on Design and Health in Architecture announced w/ call for proposals
- Rob Knight Reddit AMA Tomorrow (9/17)!
- Job Posting (Grad Student) at Virginia Tech studying aerosol microbiology
- “Strategy for American Innovation” – feedback being requested – drown them in microbe-themed emails
Sloan Post-Doc Fellows:
- 2014 Microbiology of the Built Environment Fellows
- MoBE Postdoctoral Fellowship: From Source to Tap: Linking the Drinking Water Microbiome to Human Health
- Microbiomes and the Athletic Arena: Indoor Track Facility Microbiome in conjunction with Salivary and Nostril Microbiomes of Indoor/Outdoor Runners (MoBE Postdoctoral Fellowship)
New Software or Techniques
- What exactly is that sequencing data? (GenomePeek software)
- New Paper : On the intrinsic sterility of 3D printing
- A Nanoparticle Flaps its Wings
- Some interesting new papers on functional analysius of metagenomics
- Collection of papers on “The Science of Science Communication”
- Announcing the scikit-bio cookbook “recipe-of-the-week” series
- Comparative Analysis of Functional Metagenomic Annotation and the Mappability of Short Reads (by Rogan Carr and Elhanan Borenstein)
- Estimating average genome size from metagenomes
Latest in Mendeley Collection
- Phylogenetic 16s rRNA analysis reveals the presence of complex and partly unknown bacterial communities in Tito Bustillo cave, Spain, and on its Palaeolithic paintings
- Indoor Airborne Microflora in Various Section of a Tertiary Healthcare Centre in Rural Area of Ovia Northeast Edo State
- Influence of relative humidity on VOC concentrations in indoor air.
- A quantitative method for evaluating the germicidal effect of upper room UV fields
- Development of a numerical model to simulate the biological inactivation of airborne microorganisms in the presence of ultraviolet light
- The ventilation of multiple-bed hospital wards: review and analysis.
- The Airborne Transmission of Infection in Hospital Buildings: Fact or Fiction?
- Environmental contamination and hospital acquired infection: factors that are easily overlooked.
- Metagenomic Analysis of the Airborne Environment in Urban Spaces.
- Stratified microbial structure and activity in sulfide- and methane-producing anaerobic sewer biofilms.
- A Breath Fungal Secondary Metabolite Signature to Diagnose Invasive Aspergillosis.
- Chemical/Biological Technologies Department Ebola Broad Agency Announcement – Federal Business Opportunities: Opportunities
- Microbiology of Drinking Water: Production and Distribution – Bitton – Wiley Online Library
- Evaluation of Microbial Load in Oropharyngeal Mucosa from Tannery Workers
- Effects of fungal species, cultivation time, growth substrate and air exposure velocity on the fluorescence properties of airborne fungal spores.
- Analysis of mycobiota existing in the indoor environment in the map library of the national archive of the republic of Cuba.
- Microbial Contamination on Used Surgical Masks among Hospital Personnel and Microbial Air Quality in their Working Wards: A Hospital in Bangkok
- Indoor fungal diversity and asthma : a meta-analysis and systematic review of risk factors
- Production of an Extracellular Matrix as an Isotropic Growth Phase of Penicillium rubens on Gypsum